08/10/17 : Mens 1 vs Fareham 1s

Away - Henry Cort School


Lost 3 - 4

It was Fareham that took all three points with a late winner in a entertaining derby. The derby provided a debut for Mohammed Toseeq Arshad, Havant’s overseas player who had arrived from Pakistan two days earlier. Toseeq represented Pakistan in the Lond

Fareham started the stronger of the two teams and  almost immediately from the push back entered the Havant circle, which came to nothing. A minute later Havant were in the Fareham circle, as they were a minute later, this time winning a penalty corner after a double save by George Harris in the Fareham goal. Toseeq Arshad stepped up but could not get a good flick away on goal.
Fareham took an early lead after a good run down their right wing and along Havant’s bye line. A number of defenders did not challenge presumably as they did not want to give a penalty corner away and this allowed the ball to be passed across Chris Bristow for Danny Rawlings to touch the ball into the empty goal in the 6th minute.
After the opening goal the game settled down with Havant being patient building in the midfield, but Fareham reacting with their trademark fast break on the counter. End to end hockey ensued and Fareham won their first penalty corner in the 25th minute, which produced a great save from Bristow down low to his right. Havant adopted the long ball to the forwards, but Fareham countered this tactic by stepping in front of the Havant forwards to win the ball. With five minutes left on the clock before half time Havant won their second penalty corner after Tomek Bruml found a Fareham foot in the circle. The push out was poor but Havant scrambled another corner. The push out again was poor due to a dry pitch, but again Havant managed to win another corner, but on the third attempt the ball went wide of the post.
Within five minutes of the restart Fareham had extended their lead after a cross from the right wing found a touch from Alex Boxall's stick deflecting the ball goal bound to give Fareham a two goal lead. A minute later Fareham could have scored again, but Bristow kept Havant in the game saving a shot from five yards out. On 44 minutes Matthew Boote shot over the Fareham goal after good approach work from Matthew Cox and Maciej Janeszewski.
Fareham then produced their best spell of the game winning four penalty corners producing some good saves from Chris Bristow from both corners and open play. When it was looking like Fareham would extend their lead Havant pulled a goal back after a save from a penalty corner, the rebound being picked up by a Havant stick and a pass across the goal gave Michael Deller-Merricks a tap in on the far post in the 54th minute.
Just as Havant had got back into the game on 57 minutes Indy Laly was yellow carded for a robust tackle and a penalty corner resulted, which was converted by Jamie Rawlings to extend the two goal lead.
In the 62nd minute Havant struck back again after Maciej Janeszewski ran into the circle to have his stick chopped resulting in a penalty stroke. Maciej converted with a well place flick.
In the 63rd minute Fareham were down to ten men after Chris Price had taken out Maciej, bundling him into touch. A penalty corner was awarded, but Havant could not take advantage. They did however take advantage a few minutes later when Tomek Bruml levelled the score in the 67th minute scrambling the ball into Fareham’s goal from an open play attack.
The game was now wide open and Havant had the momentum. When a draw seemed the most likely result for the second time in two weeks Havant conceded a late goal this time with two minutes left on the clock, the winner coming from Jamie Rawlings from Fareham’s seventh penalty corner of the game.
Despite not picking up any points there were a great number of positives to take from the game. We did play well and have now scored seven goals in two games, we do however needed to tighten up at the back, as at this level mistakes or slack marking often gets punished.



Mike Deller-Merricks 1

Man of the Match

Craig Duffy