25/02/18 : Mens 1 vs Clifton Robinsons

Away - Combe Dingle - Bristol University


Won 3 - 1

A good 3-1 victory away from home against a team fighting for the National League status.

Havant travelled to Coomb Dingle Sports Complex to face bottom of the table Clifton Robinsons HC, but were without Matthew Boote who had not recovered from his recent foot injury.

It was a very cold day and Havant started the game well with some good possession in the midfield. Indy Laly linked well with Matt Cox who fed youngster Ethan Hoddle whose snapshot was well saved by the Clifton GK. 

Another attack soon followed with Chris Smith linking well with Maciej Janiszewski but his shot was not on target. Havant had some good chances in the first half, but the forwards shots did not trouble the Clifton GK as they were wide of the target.

Havant’s first penalty corner was won by Mike Deller-Merricks who found a defenders foot in the circle. The routine was not clean and Clifton’s defence cleared the danger.

Clifton had some breakaway chances and Chris Bristow had to make a smart save down to his right. Then another Havant youngster, Jack Stubbings made a great run along the Clifton base line and he fed Chris Smith in front of goal, but again the Clifton defence cleared the danger.

Sam Hatherley was then shown a green card for a strong tackle and Clifton again had a couple of chances which were cleared by skipper Raj Laly and keeper Chris Bristow.

Havant then took a deserved lead Mike Deller-Merricks finishing off a great interchange between Maciej Janiszewski and Duncan Marsh.

However after the halftime break Clifton were soon back on terms with a well taken finish at the far post that Bristow could do nothing about.

Havant's midfield then took control of the game with Matt Cox, Craig Duffy and Sam Hatherley all creating attacks that led to a number of penalty corners for Havant. It wasn’t until the 59minute that Havant regained the lead. Matt Cox smashing the ball into the net at the first shot had been well saved.

Clifton however did not give up and worked hard to get a foothold in the game. They pushed forward again, but were penalised with a 10 minute yellow card suspension when one of their forwards went to ground around the ball and nearly wiped out a Havant defender.

Havant’s man of the match, Matt Cox, became more influential and linked well with Michal Dawid who found a defenders foot in the circle. From the resulting penalty corner Michal got his first goal for Havant and the game was over.


Mike Deller-Merricks 1
Matt Cox 1
Michal Dawid 1

Man of the Match

Matt Cox