04/11/18 : Mens 1 vs University of Bristol

Home - Havant College


Won 3 - 1

Our men’s 1st XI entertained University of Bristol on Sunday in a game that provided little to write about in the first 60 minutes and plenty in the last 10.

Click here for photos

Video Streams

First Half

Second Half

Havant won the first penalty corner of the game in the 4th minute, resulting from a students foot in the circle. The resulting flick was easily saved by Todd Dudley in goal. There was little circle penetrations for the next 11 minutes until Akhtar Ali had a double shot, both saved by Dudley. Bristol won a penalty corner in the 14th minute when sharp shooter Rufus McNaught-Barrington, the leagues top scorer was denied by Maciej Pacanowski, but a re-take was awarded, and saved again. From this corner Havant had a quick break that after a few moves, saw the home side sweep into the students circle, but nothing came from the attack.

In the 20th minute University of Bristol could have gone ahead after a shot from close range, but the shot was wide of the goal. Havant’s second penalty corner in the 30th minute resulted in a shot wide of the goal. A minute later Inderpal Laly was unmarked in the students circle and his deflected shot was well saved by Dudley. Just before the half time break University of Bristol created another really good chance with a ball across the goal, but there were no student sticks to deflect it towards the Havant net.

University of Bristol pinned Havant back in the first 6 minutes of the second half leaving Havant opportunities to break, which they did often involving Matt Cox, Ethan Hoddle and the ever lively Charlie Stubbings. Maciej was brought into action in the Havant goal on a number of occasions as the students were effective in attacking down the left hand side. Bristol's 3rd penalty corner was won after a student ran thirty yards past a number of Havant players and into the circle to win the set piece. Maciej pulled off a great save down low on his right hand post from Rufus McNaught-Barrington.
It was Havant who took the lead in the 53rd minute after a ball was deflected off a defender into the circle. Unmarked Akhtar Ali brilliantly pulled the ball down and as Dudley came out to smoother Akhtar tucked the ball under the keeper with a reverse shot to open the scoring. University of Bristol followed with two good chances before levelling the score in the 61st minute. Thomas Minall (another Havant past player) latched onto a ball that bounced through the defence to send it goal bound.
In the 64th minute Lewis Fraser was awarded a yellow card for an over robust challenge and the numerical advantage saw Havant take full advantage. On 66 minutes Havant converted heavy pressure into a penalty corner, which pulled out two good saves from Todd Dudley, but the third shot from man of the match Matt Cox struck a defender on the line and a penalty stroke was awarded. Charlie Stubbings made no mistake after a well placed flick into the side netting.
For the second time in as many weeks Havant faced a kicking back as University of Bristol replaced Dudley and within two minutes the move back fired when Matt Cox won another penalty stroke when a defender stopped his goal bound shot with his body. Charlie Stubbings produced a carbon copy flick past Dudley who had been substituted on to defend the stroke. 
This win keeps Havant in fourth position in the table.


Akhtar Ali 1
Charlie Stubbings 2

Man of the Match

Matt Cox