10/03/19 : Mens 1 vs University of Bristol

Away - Coombe Dingle Sports Ground


Drew 2 - 2

It felt like two points dropped, rather than a point gained and with the loss of Matthew Boote with a confirmed broken fibula it was a tough day for Havant.

Havant’s trip to Bristol started early on during a very blustery morning. The squad arrived in good spirits until the warm up for the game when Matthew Boote twisted his ankle in the pre-match warm up and was rushed off to hospital, with a suspected broken ankle.

The squad had to refocus and in fact started the game well, with some good possession and Ethan Hoddle had a snapshot in the 4th minute which was cleared by the UoBristol defence. Miguel Rodrigues won Havant’s first penalty corner soon after, but Federico Bertoni’s shot flashed wide of the goal.

Charlie and Jack Stubbings we’re linking well in midfield and Jack had a deflected shot parried by the UoBristol goalkeeper. Havant’s midfield were in control of the game and Charlie Stubbings, Miguel Rodrigues and Craig Duffy all pushed forward but could not create any clear chances.

It was not until the 23rd minute for Havant to win their 2nd penalty corner, but Federico Bertoni’s flick was cleared by the UoBristol's defence. Havant lost Charlie Stubbings to a green card and UoBristol began to get a foothold in the game. 

A quick break led to UoBristols 1st penalty corner which was well saved by Maciej Pacanowski in the Havant goal, but he could do nothing about the rebound and Havant old boy George Cairns gave UoBristol the lead.

Havant continue to push forward and Mike Deller-Merricks fed Ethan Hoddle in the UoBristol circle but he could not get a clean shot away. UoBristol looked dangerous on the counter attack and they soon won another penalty corner. This again was well saved by Maciej Pacanowski and his defenders cleared the danger from the rebound.

Just before the break Havant won their 3rd penalty corner with Matt Cox being upended in the circle. The UoBristol defender received a green card, which was upgraded to a yellow for some back chat to the umpire. Havant’s effort again went wide of the goal as the whistle blew for half time.

At the break, coaches Raj Laly and Warren Gilmour made some minor adjustments to the team structure and with UoBristol down to 10 men for the start of the 2nd half it was time to push for the equaliser.

In the 37th minute Miguel Rodrigues won Havant a penalty corner, and this time Federico Bertoni made no mistake and fired in the equaliser. Then straight from the restart Havant took the lead, with man of the match Ethan Hoddle finishing a great move down the Havant right.

The game then settled down and neither side could trouble each other’s defence. The midfield started to open up and Havant created some further chances but could not increase their lead. Then in the 57th minute a hopeful ball into the Havant circle, bounced kindly off a defenders stick to a UoBristol forward, who turned and rasped a shot into the corner of Havant’s goal to make the score 2-2.

Havant continued to push forward, and Mike Deller-Merricks and Ethan Hoddle had half chances but they did not trouble the UoBristol’s goal, and the game finished 2-2.


Federico Bertoni 1
Ethan Hoddle 1

Man of the Match

Ethan Hoddle