24/03/18 : Mens 1 vs Cardiff & Met

Home - Havant College


Drew 4 - 4

Havant came back from 1-4 down to win a point in an 8 goal thriller.

Cardiff opened the scoring with a powerful reverse shot by Jack Pritchard in the 13th Minute, after he had cut into the circle after a powerful run in from the left. A minute later James Fortman in the Cardiff Met goal denied Mike Deller- Mericks with the aid of his helmet. Cardiff followed this with a great chance to go further ahead when after a quick break they had a 3 on 1 with the last defender, but the final pass was not stopped and Bristow was not called into action.
From mid half Havant started to dominate and certainly had territorial advantage. Despite this advantage they were unable to break down the Cardiff Met defence and were perhaps guilty of attacking with a lack of width making defending that much easier for the visitors. Havant did however make the pressure count in the 27th minute when Matt Cox moved the ball through the defence to Adam Bloomfield in the circle. Adam's shot was deflected into the goal on the far post by Matt Boote as he came sliding in, to level the score.
Similar to last Thursday Havant started the second half poorly and conceded three goals in the first ten minutes of the half. Cardiff Met’s second goal was scored in the 40th minute when Ieuan Davies converted with a shot from the righthand side of the circle. Three minutes later the visitors had scored their third goal from their second penalty corner of the game. Un-challenged, it seemed an eternity until they flicked at goal, but when they did an angled flick passed Bristow into the side of the goal. Worse was to come due to poor reaction to turnover and slack marking which allowed Rhys Bradshaw to score Cardiff Met’s fourth goal in the 46th minute, which at that time seemed “game over”.
Havant’s fight back started in the 51st minute after Jonathan Pickett wide on the right fed Matt Boote who in turn threaded the ball to Adam Bloomfield who crossed the ball in front of the keeper for man of the match Ethan Hoddle to convert. Havant followed this with two great attempts by Matt Boote, one brilliantly saved by Fortman in the visitors goal. Cardiff Met also had a good chance and it required Chris Bristow to deny the visitors with a smart save. In the 57th minute Adam Bloomfield turned provider to scorer making no mistake at short range to make it 3-4. 
At 3-4 the visitors went down to 10 men in the 60th minute and with the numerical advantage Havant pushed forward, but Havant were down to 10 men themselves four minutes later after a robust tackle gave Cardiff Met their third penalty corner of the game. A fine double save by Bristow denied the visitors.
Further chances fell to both sides, but it was Havant who were creating the better opportunities and looked the most likely to score. Cardiff Met defended well but Havant got numbers into the circle at every opportunity and from one of these attacks in the 69th minute, Ethan Hoddle lifted the ball which hit a defender on its way into the goal. A penalty stroke was awarded, but then reversed by the disengaged umpire to great surprise. The stroke was converted to Havant’s first penalty corner of the game and from this Jonathan Pickett shot from the top of the circle which deflected of a defenders stick into the top corner of the goal to level the score at 4-4.
Click here for photos


Adam Bloomfield 1
Jonathan Pickett 1
Matt Boote 1
Ethan Hoddle 1

Man of the Match

Ethan Hoddle